After setting up your datasource, you can use Awesome Table to create your first app. This article shows how to create a Table app for the People Directory datasource you created in the previous article.
1. Connect to the Awesome Table web app
To use Awesome Table, access the web app and create a profile.
Follow this link: https://awesome-table.com/
Click one of the following:
- Sign in with Google if you have a Gmail or G Suite account
- Sign in with Microsoft if you have an Office 365 or Outlook (Hotmail) account
Accept the permissions.
2. Create a blank app
Click the Create a new app button.
3. Select your datasource
Click the Select a spreadsheet button (or the Select a Workbook button if you're working in Microsoft Excel).
Choose your Google spreadsheet or Excel 365 file and click Select or Open, respectively.
4. Select the required sheet in your datasource
In the Create new app dialog:
- Select the required sheet.
This is the tab at the bottom of your spreadsheet containing all the data to include in your Awesome Table app. Your spreadsheet can contain several sheets but you can only select one.
- Make sure the range includes all the columns you want to include in your app.
When you select the sheet, Awesome Table detects which columns contain data and fills in the Range values.
- Click Create.
– If required, you can manually adjust the range to exclude some columns.
– Use this format for the range: FirstColumn1:LastColumn (for example, C1:F means that only columns C to F will be included in your app).
– If you later add columns to your spreadsheet, the range doesn't automatically update to include the new columns. You must manually adjust the Range values.
In the Create new app dialog, you can also:
- click Open to open your selected spreadsheet in a new tab
- click Select to choose a different spreadsheet as your datasource
- rename your app in the Project Name field
5. Adjust the settings of your Table app
Your new Table app opens! When you create a new app, the default app type is Table.
Adjust the settings:
- Open App configuration.
- Under Visualization type, the app type Table is selected. In this tutorial we're creating a Table app, so leave the default. You can take a look at the other types of app available.
- If required, limit the number of rows displayed on each page of your app: enter 4 under # of items displayed.
- Under Layout, leave the default option Filters, chart. This means that the filters you add in step 3 of this tutorial will appear at the top of your People Directory.
- Click Update app.
Your new Table app should look like this:
It doesn't look like our end product yet, but the next article explains how to use filters and keywords to customize the way your data is displayed.